Ranolf Medical Centre offers a wide range of specialised health services in Rotorua.
We focus on our patients and are keen to support them any way we can. This includes:
- Catering for patients with disabilities. We have mobility parking on both sides of the building, a ramp entrance in the King Street car park and automatic opening doors through the pharmacy entrance. Wheel chairs are available on request.
- Two parent parks are located close to the medical centre entrances on Ranolf and King Streets
- A bicycle rack by the main entrance of the practice on Ranolf Street for your ease and convenience
- Access to interpreting services through ‘Language Line’ to help remove language barriers
- Communicating by text and email for patients with hearing difficulties.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access.
If you need assistance when visiting us, please talk to our friendly receptionists.
At Ranolf we like to create long-lasting relationships with our patients. Through developing a relationship of trust and respect we can get to know our patients better and deliver quality primary health care services.
When you book a doctors consult we will try our best for you to see your own doctor. If that isn’t possible we will offer you to see one of our other doctors at the centre.
Our standard appointment is 15 minutes. If you have several health matters to discuss with your doctor or think you will need longer than 15 minutes please let us know when you make your appointment (please note additional consultation fees may apply for longer consultations).
Ros Rowarth is our Nurse Practitioner. This role allows Ros to work both independently and fully supported by our team of General Practitioners.
Ros is able to undertake full clinical assessments; promoting health, prescribing medications, preventing disease and managing patients health needs.
Caerlie Picken and Rosanna Senior are our two new nurse prescribers.
- Registered nurse prescribing will make best use of the knowledge and skills of nurses for positive health outcomes for our patients.
- As we know demand for health care is increasing as the population ages and more New Zealanders are living with long-term conditions and registered nurse prescribing will contribute to addressing demand.
- The Medicines (Designated Prescriber Registered Nurses) Regulations 2016 means that registered nurses authorised by the Council can now prescribe for a range of common and long-term conditions, e.g. minor infections, respiratory disease or cardiovascular health concerns, in outpatient or nurse-led clinics.
- They are restricted to a list of medicines detailed on the Council website.
- They will prescribe a small number of medicines from this list relevant to their area of practice and competence.
Ranolf nurses work as colleagues and assistants to our doctors. You can book nurse consultations independently of a doctors consult for the following services:
- Cervical smears and sexual health screening
- Well woman checks
- Quit smoking support and advice
- Well child checks and immunisations
- Wound management
- Dietary and lifestyle advice
- Travel advice vaccinations (after doctors consultation)
- Diabetes advice
- Cardiovascular Risk Assessment
Our nurses are also available to take phone call queries and answer questions about test results.
Please call us to make an appointment or talk with one of the nurses.
At Ranolf we have a philosophy to offer a same day service if you are unwell. Wherever possible we will try and get you to see your usual doctor. When this is not possible and it is an urgent health matter we offer the Drop In clinic which is available Monday to Friday mornings between 08:30 am – 11:00am and Friday afternoon between 02:30pm – 04.00pm. These clinics are staffed by a doctor and a nurse.
How does the Drop In clinic work?
Patients are seen in the order they present to the practice, however please be aware that a patient with a serious health issue may be seen before you.
The Drop In clinic allows you to see the doctor or nurse for a quick consultation on a single problem only.
The Drop In clinic is not intended for regular check ups or WINZ forms as they require a full appointment with your doctor.
We don’t make appointments for the ‘drop in’ clinic.
Please ensure you are here before 11:00am for a morning clinic or 04.00pm for an afternoon clinic.
Standard consultation fees apply for Drop In clinic appointments.
Early detection of illness and disease as well as preventative measures provide the best health and well-being for our patients.
We recommend annual health checks for patients over 50 and every two years for patients in their 30s and 40s.
Please contact us to arrange your next health check.
We help our patients to plan when to have a family and all matters regarding sexual health. This includes:
- Long Term Contraception Service
- Pregnancy testing and counselling
- Cervical smears
- Menopause services
- Vasectomy referral services
- Sexual health check-ups
Contact us today for an appointment.
At Ranolf we provide the support and education to help our patients manage their diabetes.
Our Nurses partner with you to design an individual diabetes plan, in consultation with your doctor, to help you manage your condition.
Ranolf Medical Centre offers minor surgery.
Our doctors and nurses will talk you through any minor procedures you may need and any associated costs.
We can provide a range of medical checks including:
- Drivers license medicals
- Work place and pre-employment medicals
- Insurance medicals
- New Zealand Defence Force medicals
- Sports and other medicals.
Please contact us to make an appointment or if you have a query regarding medical checks.
Setting off abroad can be very exciting but it is important to make sure you get accurate advice on how to remain healthy while you are away.
Depending on the countries you are visiting you may need vaccinations at least six weeks before your departure so it is important that you organise your travel health needs early.
We can help you understand which vaccinations are required, which ones are recommended and any other medical information you may need before you travel. We will also make sure that if you take any ongoing medicine you will have enough to last you through your overseas adventures.
Please contact us to make an appointment with a doctor to discuss your travel plans and health needs.
We are a family friendly service and our doctors and nurses are experienced with children and their particular health needs.
Well child checks and immunisations are an important preventative measure against illness. They also help to check that your child is developing correctly and reaching various developmental milestones.
As well as checking your child’s physical and emotional growth, these sessions provide a great opportunity for you to ask questions such as difficulties with breastfeeding or sleeping.
We enjoy catching up with our young patients at the time of their 6 week, 3 month, 5 month, 15 month and preschool (4-5 year old) visits for immunisations and well child checks.
Please contact us to book an appointment with a nurse.
Influenza – or the flu – is a virus that spreads quickly from person to person. Symptoms include fever, chills, aches, runny nose, a cough and stomach upset. It is much more serious than a cold and immunisation is your best defence.
You can get the vaccine or ‘flu jab’ here. If you are over 65, pregnant or under 65 but have an eligible long term condition e.g. diabetes or heart disease, it will be free. You can still get a nasty dose of flu even if you are usually fit and healthy, so if you’re not eligible for a free dose and you’d like to get one the cost is only $34.00.
The vaccine is usually available from late March until the end of July. The earlier you get it, the sooner you’ll be protected.
Please contact us to book an appointment with a nurse.
Workplace Influenza Vaccinations
We also offer a work based flu vaccination service. If you are a local business and offer your staff a flu vaccination each year, we can come to your premises to administer the vaccinations to a group of your staff.
Please contact us to discuss and/or book this service.
test test test test